2.7.09

Calgary Stampede. Day 1.

Who would have thunk it? Another Stampede in what seems like only a month or so since the last one. The past week on the grounds has been a long week. It's taken soooo long to get to this point. Finally. Sneak-a-peak.

It's pretty incredible to see the grounds transformed into a full out midway from it's usual state of a couple thousand parking spots.

So, in my second year edition of 'stories from the grounds', this is day one:

  • After 2 years of the same ol' tired boots (bought from Winners 3 years ago - I really can't complain) I finally had to take them to "Bob's Shoe Repair" located on 14th Street SW. Well, I needed the heels of these boots repaired on the ASAP and well I was hoping Bob could do the trick for me. After walking into his shop, the old dude was less than plussed for me to be asking him for a quick turnaround. In fact, he almost ushered me out the door. But, he said "because you good girl I do these in one week. See these other shoes? They be waitin' 3 or 4 weeks!". Rrrrright. I said, no - I need them like, tomorrow at the latest. "OK FINE I do them by Saturday at 3 p.m. 3 P.M." Ok ok Mr. Mean-Shoe-Man. So I left my true tried and faithful boots with the wacky old dude and went on my merry way. He assured me they will only be $16 so we'll see how that one pans out when I pick them up.
  • New to the Stampede midway this year? Deep fried jelly beans. Be rest assured I will not be trying these.
  • Also new to the Stampede this year? The Wine Oasis in Hall E. Be rest assured I will be trying this.
  • I can't even tell you the number of times I walked across park to the tents today. My legs felt like poo when I got home, however, drinking wine makes them feel quite a bit better.
  • Looking forward to Booster Juice being one of the midway concessions this year. In fact, very excited. Just not all that stoked to see what the price of the juice will cost...
  • Tonite's secret band in Nashville North? The oh so amazing Sam Roberts. P.S. - have fun in those Nashville lines... and no, I can't get you in.
  • Weadickville is now open and do you know what that means? BREYER'S ICE CREAM PARLOUR!!!! WOOT WOOT! (this is probably a bad time to start a dairy-wheat-gluten free diet, eh?
  • Lesson learned? Being really kind and polite to your fellow workers will help you in the long-run. This is essential if you neeed anything at the last minute during the 10 day festival.
  • Terms I am most excited to bring back? Swass (sweaty-ass), Swoob (sweaty-boobs), swack (sweaty-back) and swajayjay (yep - even your lady bits get sweat).
  • THE BULL RIDING IS BACK!! WOOT WOOT WOOT!

Super random experience thus far:

  • While walking to the tents the other day with some of the other coordinators, we walked past one one of the carnies who was clearly having a FANTASTIC DAY. How did we know? A. He was skipping down the main street. B. He was either yelling "I HAVE A DICK!" or "I HAVE A JOB" C. There is no C. Karen says it's the first, Jenn says it's the latter. I was too stunned a man was skipping to hear clearly.

And with that in mind? Happy Stampeding.

This time last year: The Calgary Stampede. Day 1.

No comments: