15.7.09

And then this happened...

Maybe the fact that mom just had her breast removed after being diagnosed with breast cancer triggered the extra concern with the beanlike growth which had "concerning characteristics". Needless to say, I was booked with the promise of a biopsy. Sigh...

Leading up to the procedure, I won't lie - I was nervous. Cried a couple times only to be consoled by O. But then things got in the way and I began thinking of other things and I completely forgot about the impending gig at the hospital. Alas, the day was upon me and I suddenly thought - shit. But mom said it was easy so it would be, right?

Mom came to pick me up with a dozen of her famous blueberry muffins in hand. Still, not even thinking much about the impending procedure, we jetted off to the Women's Clinic at the Foothills Hospital, 15 minutes earlier than we needed to be there. But alas, they were ready for me and threw me right into a gown and onto a table, but not before telling me I can't lift a vacuum for at least a week. Ha! No problemo...

Lying on the table with my arm bent so I was touching the back of my head, I couldn't help but look at the 3 screens which showed the little bean lodged in my boob with the "concerning characteristics". The nurses were genuine and friendly, a rarity in the health care system. The room was stark and clinical - not an inviting place in the slightest. The tray with the needles and gauze? Even less inviting.
"How many of these do you do a day?" I asked, now exceptionally nervous.
"Usually 5, but today the doctor is going for a record of 11", explained the nurse.

And just like that, the doctor came in, moved my breast for better access, filled it with freezing and in went the needle that made the clicking sound... over and over and over and over. And each time it clicked, I jumped. And 3 minutes later, I was told to sit up and put my arm back through my gown and get changed. No time for small talk that's for sure.

And then I was on my own and in true Megan fashion, I burst out in tears wondering what the fuck just happened. The right side of my body was numb and instead of the procedure taking an hour and a half like I was promised it would, it took no less than 35 minutes. I walked back out to the waiting room to meet an even more surprised mom and like that, we were off.

Not only was the experience weird, it was - I don't even have words to describe it. I was knocked on my ass. It hurt, it was emotional, and I have this goddamn bruise that is so ugly to look at.

To me, the bruise is a reminder that I still have to find out what the bean is.

** And yes, I realize I just posted my boob on the internet. And to note, this is my boob a week after the biopsy.

1 comment:

Allie said...

Oh missy ... I so wish that I were there for you or at least in the knows of what you are/were going through. I am so sorry my friend that we have dropped our communications to that in the sporatic category.

Sending you some HUGE love sister and know that I DO LOVE you and think about you a lot. We will make a point of meeting up online soon K?

And wow - that was some ugly bruise there sister!