13.7.08

Calgary Stampede: It's over?


I feel like someone unplugged me. However, have had a tremendous 11-days even though I'm so tired I want to sleep until next Stampede. My feet hurt, my arms are sunburnt, I desperately need to shave my legs, my face feels like it's been attacked by shale and dust and my head is spinning. All in all? Fantastic. Hi - I found the rodeo!

However, Stampede is now over. Overall highlights?

  • Cowboy hats are funny things eh? They can make some people look like ridiculous hicks and make other people look like handsome gods.
  • Goddamn are Bull Riders ever incredible. I am still stunned by these guys. Case in point - Mike Lee; winner of today's Bull Riding Championship. One of the only guys who wears a full helmet due to his head being stomped on by a bull a couple years ago. This 25-year old dude has already made $2.3 million in his short Bull Riding career. Scored a 92.0 today and added an additional $100,000 to his small fortune.
  • In my never ending search for pancakes on the grounds, K brought in her little George Foreman Pancake Grill today to the office. Heck yah - the few ladies who were in the office today had a couple flapjacks compliments of her. Wicked awesome cool. It was a fantastic way to end off the 10-days.
  • Being chased through Kiddie-Land by Carnies is kinda frightening. Um, try to avoid it.
  • Smirnoff Mojito Mix is probably one of the best things to be bottled and sold in a liquor store, ever. I might still be hurting from that one but wow was it ever great.
  • Coolest idea ever? Donating those massive life-size stuffed animals (which seriously, are completely useless in everyday life) to kids who might actually enjoy them. Fantastic idea Mr. Radke. Seriously fantastic.
  • Kid Rock. Who would have thought this guy would have put on such a stellar act? I was lucky enough to score some tickets to this concert on Saturday night. I was a little on the fence as the time got closer to when I had to grab my seats but more so because of how freakin tired I was (refer back to the Smirnoff Mojito Mix...) but wow. He seriously knows how to entertain the crowd for a couple hours. And what's that? Rev. Run was there? Oh yah - totally! He was freakin' amazing.
  • James Radke. This dude is freakin' cool.

Overall?

  • One can't truly appreciate the overall Calgary Stampede without working behind the scenes. The ridiculous hours that are worked, the ridiculous crowds, the rowdy dudes and the constant noise, the last minute orders, the oddities that occur on a regular basis and the stink of farm animals. Who would have guessed that I would turn into a massive fan of the show?
  • Can't wait for the midway to leave. If I have anymore crap food, I might have to start wearing elastic pants - and I'm not kidding. Totally detoxing this week; I feel like absolute garbage.

No comments: