19.5.08

Piece by piece...

I have never lived on my own. I have either lived with my parents, with room-mates in Kimberley BC, or with a boyfriend of mine. I am now 25 and change. Tis time.

After looking only very briefly for a place, I was lucky enough to land an 'interview' of sorts with the landlord of an older building just off 17th Avenue. It was in my price range, close to work, and the pictures on the website looked friendly and non offensive. After checking out the place, I wrote a cheque, shook his hand and wrote the full address down. This was going to be my new home.


I made the decision on the place very quickly. I almost wonder if I should have continued looking at places instead of taking the first one. I've caught myself a couple times going - "what the crap?!" I said to myself I wouldn't live off 17th Avenue again after living a year down there. It was loud, full of drunken rowdies and busy. Where do I end up? Exactly one block away from where I was before. On the plus side, I can walk to work, I know my way around and Wrapture is right across the street.

I have 2 weeks left before I move my belongings to the 550 sq ft apartment. I don't have much so it will be my fish and I (as long as he makes it through the next couple days... he's not swimming as quickly as he used to...), some new pieces for my kitchen (including these super wicked glasses and these plates, bowls and wine glasses) and my shoe collection. The other pieces will come... just not all at once.

There are however, a couple things I'm afraid of and I will share them with you and only you:
  1. Spiders: what do I do if I see one scurry across the floor? I can't just call dad over. He's not driving 14kms to my tiny place to find a spider which will most likely be the size of my finger nail. Ugh. Might need to just get this.

  2. Loneliness: what can I say? I like being around people. Being on my own will either kick my ass or teach me about who I really am. Maybe I'm a closet crocheter and I don't even know it. Maybe I'll learn a new trick like b-boxing or take up Buddhism. Or maybe I'll cry in secret because I really just want the company of someone. (Note to self: get Kleenex).

  3. Neighbours: what if they're loud? Have crazy rambunctious sex? On the plus side - maybe I could slip my Passion Party catalogues under their door... but on the negative side - boo to hearing other people climax. Ugh. Hopefully when the landlord said it was a concrete building, he was right.

  4. The unknown: I've never been good with this. I like a plan. I like knowing what's next, what's going on, what the plan for dinner is and what time the news is on. I'm not really good with not knowing what's happening next.
I'm sure it will be a rollarcoaster of sorts. Weee....

No comments: