30.12.08

Best of 2008.

2008 was good to me.

I fell in love with fine red wines, decanted and poured into an epic Bordeaux glass, with endless conversations that led long into the early morning hours and with not knowing what the next day will bring. I fell in love with my bed and the way it hugged me in the mornings, with having my own parking spot, whether covered or not, with the sound the mailman makes when he arrives to bring my bills, and with the window in my living room that allowed the squirrels to join me while I watched CNN.

I fell in love with the knowledge that I could be more than what I was and that I wasn't afraid to do it. With the laughter of new friends and with old friends, with the way my fish lays in its bowl, with the way my apartment smells when it's been without me for a day or so.

I fell in love with the 10-day debauchery that I once disliked, with the bullriding that took my breath away and with the anticipation of a pancake breakfast in the office between cubicles. I fell in love with the fact that I worked hard to get to where I am and to not even consider taking it for granted.

I learned that I can have whatever I want as long as I was willing to put my all into the journey of obtaining it. I learned that being lonely is ok, just as it's ok to invite a friend over even though it's really late. I learned how to cook, to clean and to be independent. I also learned to accept new ideas, dance in the living room and eat things I don't enjoy the taste of. I learned that putting a helmet on and jumping on the back of a bike isn't actually that scary, when in fact, it's actually kinda fun. I learned that you can meet the coolest of people even when you're not looking for them. I learned that heartache can devastate you, but the lessons you learn were worth it. I learned that new love can rock you off your chair and take the wind from you.

I learned that a good pair of shoes will carry you through years, even though they look like they shouldn't leave the closet. I learned that politics can be all-consuming, even when you have no voice in them. I learned that if you don't say anything no one will hear you. I learned that a good song will cure you of loneliness, heartache and will make you dance like no one is watching. I learned that yes, even shoes have stories associated with them. I learned to be thankful for what happened no matter how hard it is to think about.

I experienced adventures with people I never thought I'd take. I lost contact with friends but made incredible new relationships that I know will carry with me for years to come. I took chances with emotions and played poker with my heart. I became an artist and put the first picture on my fridge. Had my picture taken with the first african american President, cardboard cutout or not. I tried to make the border guard laugh but ended up smelling like garlic instead. I enjoyed last minute vacations with incredible friends and confrontations with others.


I welcome 2009 with open arms.

No comments: