23.11.08

Maybe time to show a little fiscal prudence...

If you've read the paper, seen the news, filled up for gas or bought a loaf of bread lately - you might have noticed something is going on in this little world of ours. Times are tough, scary and unpredictable.

Last week things hit a little too close to home for me. My organization was been hit by the changed economic environment; and it hit hard. While my department was lucky and we have been reassured that it won't affect us for now, it's still a hard pill to swallow.

I watch the news every day, read the headlines, and pay attention to whats going on around me, but I never think things are going to hit home as much as they are beginning to. People are losing their jobs, building construction on hold, price of groceries going up and an all round sense of unease.

The general sense of unease has actually forced me to put things into perspective. You may laugh at my feeble attempt of cutting back but when the past couple of years have been all about froufrou and quad-grande-sugarfree-vanilla-lactaid-no-foam-caramel-macciatos, the fact that I am either getting coffee from 7-11 or buying a bag of beans and grinding my own - is a big deal. I can't remember the last time I bought a new shoes, shirt or purse. I called Shaw and cut back on my services because really - who needs to spend $90.97 on cable and internet per month? My personal cell phone will shortly turn into a pay-as-you-go phone and I will be buying groceries at Superstore, not the local Co-Op Fresh Market.

From what I learned on Friday, it's time to not take anything for granted; to be grateful for what I have and for who I have. Because no matter how difficult the clients, how long the hours, how early the mornings or how cluttered the desk - I have a job and am not really doing that badly.

1 comment:

Mike's Bloggity Blog said...

all good things, until you scroll down to the next post ;-)