7.1.08

Calgary Herald Q - Excess Baggage.

Also on the Calgary Herald Q.

Men shudder at the idea of peering into them, almost terrified at what they might find. They’re considered an ‘infinite abyss’ by some, and to others – ‘frustratingly ridiculous’. However, they’re not the black hole every man thinks they are. They’re our lives, our possessions and our personal statement.

The Daily Mail suggests handbags are more of a lifestyle necessity than a fashion accessory. With the amount of items carried by the average woman on a daily basis, no wonder the larger handbags are desirable.

Researchers found out that the average 30-year-old woman already owns 21 bags and that number increases every 3-months. It was determined that over the course of a lifetime, the average woman has owned 111 bags. I’m 25 and I think I might own 7 thus far.

What’s with the number? Bags are versatile depending on the mood, occasion and attire. I have one for work, mountain-travels, formals, casuals and everything in between.

2007 was the year of the large bag. The tiny Hollywood starlets carried them awkwardly on their arms, sometimes with small pups in tow. My purse was always quite normal sized until this past Christmas when I was presented with the purse I had my eye on for quite some time. Of course, in the time leading up to this gift I was heavily questioned as to why I needed a bag of that size. Well, why not?

It was functional: I could carry everything in it and was perfect for work. It was gorgeous: what’s not to love about the walnut leather satchel? And it was chic: again, what’s not to love about the walnut leather satchel?

And with 2008, the new collections came out. One would think the new year would maybe bring new inspiration to maybe create smaller, more manageable bags. But just when you got ready to trade in your oversized for a fanny back, the 2008 collection only offers larger bags, some that are over 2ft in length.

The large bags however, are turning into a bit of an issue for ladies shoulders and backs. Chiropractors are actually warning us not to carry our lives in our bag due to the strain it puts on our bodies.

With the oversized satchels in style we are left wondering: why do we need to carry so much? Why are the bags so big?

Curious, I cracked open my bag to find out what I have traveling with me: wallet, 2 cell phones, 3 tubes of lip gloss, day-timer, package of gum, keys for work, keys for car, iPod and headphones, feminine products, Advil, sunglass case (sans sunglasses), snack, gloves.

Ok so maybe the contents are a bit horrifying; 3 tubes of lipgloss, seriously. When I get to the heart of it though I carry I everything around with me because it makes me feel better knowing everything is conveniently located. I know I’m not alone though. I’ve seen my girlfriends with equally as large bags.

On average, the 5 girls I had crack open their bags offered me these contents: Daytimer, wallet, keys, cigarettes, glasses, glass cleaner, hair ties, cheques, small cosmetic case, gum, hair pins, inhaler, feminine products, prescription drugs, cough candies, a needle and thread, coupon book, measuring tape, lip glosses, pens, winter apparel, cell phone, cream, sanitizer, accessories, lunch, water bottle, and a snack. Everything is pretty useful, no?

Even more curious, I weighed my purse only to find out it weighs an astonishing 5.7lbs; almost triple what doctors are recommending a purse is. In all honesty though, it’s not hard to carry a purse that weighs more than 2lbs. When you add a laptop and the daily edition of the Calgary Herald, you’re already over the suggested weight.

I’m not ready to hibernate my purse it makes one stop and think: while the world is creating smaller gadgets to fit in the comfort of your pocket, what is with the wrist-breaking bags?

No comments: